Thursday, December 30, 2010

Fasten Your Seatbelt

I grew up in a small rural town so needless to say, I’ve seen my share of unpaved, bumpy roads. Just like the paved roads, these unfinished ones will get you to your destination. The way, however, is not smooth sailing. I used to hate those dirt paths because by the time I reached my destination, I felt like I had been mixed in a blender. The constant up and down motion and shaky drive used to make me so dizzy. I wondered why no one bothered to pave those old dirt roads. The ride would have been so much easier.

We can use that same illustration in our lives today. All of us want to be successful and reach our ultimate destination but sometimes, we want to take the easy way out. We never take the opportunity to learn from and appreciate those bumps in the road. Those side streets and unpaved roads in life are designed to develop us into better people. If we allow them to, they will make us stronger. Each bump in the road of life should be evaluated. When we encounter trials and tribulations, we should ask God what he wants us to learn. We should try to discover what God is trying to tell us from the situations we find ourselves in. If you face trials with a defeatist attitude, you may miss your blessing. All of the difficulties we face in life are just a part of the journey. Every day is not going to be sunshine and roses, but we have to remember that God has given us everything we need to make it through those hardships.

Life can throw us some devastating blows if we are not equipped to handle them. That’s why we have to be certain that we are grounded in the word of God. When trials come and we can reflect on the promises of God, we have the extra push we need to keep moving forward. We’ve all heard the expression, “no pain, no gain.” If we don’t have to work hard to achieve success, oftentimes we will take that success for granted. When you can look at your life now and see all of the things that God has brought you through, you realize that every trial that you went through was worth it. Every tear you cried, every disappointment, every challenge has made you into the person you are today. 

When God chooses you to go through a difficult task, he knows that you have the strength to pass the test. All you have to do is put your trust in him and follow his instructions. Once you come out of the test, God will reward you for your obedience. I thank God for every time he sent me down an unpaved, bumpy road. I’ve learned and grown from each test and trial. All of  the adversity I have faced in life has made me into the woman I am today. You see if we follow the path that God has designed for us and not try to fight where God is trying to take us, we can look back and see that every pitfall in our life has been for our good. So, the next time you have to take a detour and you find yourself on one of those unpaved bumpy roads, just fasten your seatbelt. Let God guide your path and when you reach your destination, those bumps in the road will be worth it!


Scripture for today: I Peter 4:12-13

No comments:

Post a Comment